Women empowerment officer/Farsi cultural mediator, Una Sana Canton - Bosnia and Herzegovina
Doctors of the World is an international medical development NGO which is part of an international network. We provide medical assistance to vulnerable groups in Belgium and the rest of the world.
We aim for universal health coverage where every person has access to care, without barriers (financial, cultural, geographic, etc.).
In Belgium and around the world, our projects are intended for all people who have no or restricted access to health care. In particular, they are structured along five axes: people on the margins of society (homeless or paperless people, drug users, sex workers, etc.); children in vulnerable situations; women (accompanied in their fight for equality and against sexual violence for example); migrants or displaced persons and victims of crises or conflicts.
Doctors of the World is currently active in Belgium and eleven other countries: Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Congo, Tunisia, Haiti, Niger, Slovenia, Mali, Greece, Morocco and Libya.
To carry out our mission, we base our work on three pillars:
- Caring: organizing real access to care for people.
- To accompany change: more than to help, we want to change things in the long run.
- Testify: we do not remain silent. Thanks to our experience and our presence on the ground, we challenge the people in power (local, regional and (inter) national) with facts, figures and realities.
Our projects rely on a series of values common to our entire organization: social justice, empowerment, independence, commitment and balance.
Through the project “SRH and GBV services for women and girls on the move in Una-Sana Canton” Médecins du Monde Belgique, Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina supported by United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) aims to contribute to strengthening of GBV coordination between key stakeholders but also to support women and girls on the move through provision of SRH and GBV services.
One of the crucial support services for women and girls are the three Centres for Women and Girls located in three temporary reception centres in Una Sana Canton where refugees and migrants are accommodated. These Centres aim is to provide the following women empowerment services:
- socializing and re-building of women’s and girls’ social networks;
- receive social support;
- acquire contextually relevant skills;
- access to safe and non-stigmatizing multi-sectorial GBV response services (psychosocial support and referral to legal and medical services);
- receive information on issues relating to women’s rights, health, and services
The main duty of the woman empowerment officer is to provide (Farsi-English/BHS and vice versa) translation and support of all psychosocial and deliver empowerment activities for migrant and refugee women and girls.
Principales taches et responsabilités
DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Translation from Farsi to English/BHS and vice versa of all relevant activities organized in three Centers for Women and Girls
- Prepare and provide translation to all psychosocial support services provided by psychologists offered to migrant and refugee women through group and individual sessions
- Provide direct support to all team members in organizing relevant activities in three Centers for Women and Girls with a focus on specialized help to vulnerable women and girls
- Full support of organizing and facilitating women empowerment programs/activities organized in all three Centres
- Prepare and implement interactive women empowerment group discussions with the aim of raising consciousness on their nature and capacities;
- Provide educational activities (groups discussions/meaningful activities for different age groups with the aim to empower women and girls on an individual level and to build their capacity to actively contribute to their communities);
- Support recreational activities: make-up, hairdressing, language, painting, drawing, theatre, music etc;
- Support women safety sessions such as risk identification and reduction strategies; sexual and reproductive health; women’s rights; positive coping strategies; life skills; and hygiene promotion;
- Provide other services as required
A fixed-term contract
- As a minimum, a bachelor’s degree, but preferably an MA degree in social work, psychology or other social sciences, language and literature, human rights law, humanitarian and development work, or other relevant field related to gender, humanitarian and development issues, and GBV prevention and response.
- At least 2 years of experience in conducting creative / educational / social, etc. empowerment activities for women and/or other vulnerable groups
- At least 2 years of experience in translating for vulnerable groups (including psychotherapy);
- Work experience in crisis situations and field work experience
- Written and spoken proficiency in Farsi/English or Farsi/Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian;
- Understanding and experience in working with migrant and refugee women and girls in emergency setting would be considered as advantage.
- Experience in leading protection and prevention activities for vulnerable groups including working directly with women and girls affected by sexual and gender-based violence would be considered and advantage.
- Ability to adapt to new environments and to establish and maintain good working relations with individuals of different cultural backgrounds
- Understanding of migration thematic area;
- Good writing, communication and organisational skills;
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships;
- Ability to work autonomously and to work under pressure;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Fulfilling all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Writing and oral communication skills in Farsi, BHS and English;
- Knowledge of some other refugee/migrant spoken language is an additional asset (eg. Arabic, Kurdish).
Please send your application (CV and motivation letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Planed start: As soon as possible
MdM thanks you for the interest in our organization and wishes you every success in your career.
Si vous souhaitez rejoindre notre équipe, merci d’envoyer votre demande en remplissant le formulaire ci-dessous.
Médecins du Monde s’engage pour les personnes en situation de handicap et lutte contre toutes les discriminations.
Nous vous informons que les données vous concernant sont informatisées, elles seront traitées de façon confidentielle.
Dans le cadre de la présente candidature, vos données sont conservées pour une durée de 6 mois.
Seules les personnes habilitées par notre Charte de confidentialité Générale pourront accéder à vos données à des fins strictement internes. Notre politique de confidentialité.